Stylish and affordable cantilever parasols
Are you looking for a lovely addition to your garden that will provide you with shade during the scorching hot summer months? Then a cantilever parasol is exactly what you need. Cantilever parasols are the ultimate choice for outdoor living as they combine size, strength and durability.
Our cantilever parasols are sturdy and designed to withstand the test of time - and the elements. Cantilever parasols provide a clear space underneath the canopy, and there is no need for a centre pole. Cantilever parasols are ideal for both private and commercial use.
At vidaXL, we have a wide range of cantilever parasols in various shapes, sizes and materials. Explore the selection on this page.
What is a cantilever parasol?
You might be wondering what exactly a cantilever umbrella is. Not to worry, we have got your back. As mentioned earlier, a cantilever parasol provides a clear space underneath the canopy, and there is absolutely no need for a centre pole. The parasol is supported by a freestanding pole on the side, and they are suspended in the air. This means there are no poles or similar in the way of a conversation, making cantilever parasols perfect for restaurants and cafés as well as patios and gardens.
If you have a great outdoor space, then you probably want to spend as much time there as possible. However, the midday sun during the hot summer months can make being outside almost unbearable. Or how about all the sun showers? With a cantilever parasol, you will never have to let these weather circumstances stop you from being outside. Instead, you can shelter yourself from the sun and the rain under your new cantilever parasol.
Make the most out of every summer with a cantilever parasol
Do you want to make the most out of every summer? Of course, you do! With a cantilever parasol, you can make the most out of every single summer. You can enjoy your morning coffee outside under your new parasol. You can have friends over for a summer barbecue. Or how about reading a book under your parasol while there is a shower? A cantilever parasol is the perfect place to enjoy your favourite beverages, have chats with your partner, have friends over and just close your eyes and enjoy your life.
What is the difference between a standard parasol and a cantilever parasol?
You might be wondering what on earth the difference between a standard parasol and a cantilever parasol is. So, let’s dive a bit into this topic. The key difference between a cantilever parasol and a standard parasol is the pole positioning:
With a standard parasol, the pole is placed directly in the middle. With a cantilever parasol, the pole stands on the side. This means that you get more space beneath a cantilever parasol to place your garden furniture and sit in the shade. Also, when the pole is directly in the middle, it tends to block your view, making it harder to have conversations with friends and family.
Another difference is that cantilever parasols are more adjustable than standard parasols. They offer great adjustable sun protection and stability for all weather conditions. In fact, most cantilever parasols can rotate between 270 and 360 degrees, meaning they can easily be tilted or adjusted to shield from sun or rain. Lastly, the last big difference between a standard parasol and a cantilever parasol is that cantilever parasols generally come in larger sizes. Most cantilever parasols measure between 2.5-4 metres, making them perfect for large gardens.
What is the best umbrella for the patio?
At vidaXL, we certainly love cantilever parasols. However, it might not be the best solution for every patio. When buying a parasol for your garden or patio, there are several factors you need to consider.
- What does your outdoor space look like? Is it big or small? Is it modern, classic, minimalistic, cottage style or something else? It’s important that you pick a parasol that both suits the size and style of your space. As mentioned earlier, a cantilever parasol might not be the best option for smaller spaces, as they take up quite a bit of space.
- How many people should you be able to fit under the parasol? If you just need space enough for two people, you might not need the biggest parasol on the market. If, however, you have a big family or you love hosting summer parties, you may wish to opt for a bigger parasol.
- What is your budget? At vidaXL, our parasols are affordably priced. However, it is always a good idea to consider how much you are willing to spend on your new parasol.
One more thing that is important to consider is the style of the parasol. Yes, we love cantilever parasols, but there are also other parasols on the market, so let’s go over them here:
- Centre pole umbrella. As this name suggests, this umbrella is characterised by a pole that is placed in the centre. The pole extends from the top of the canopy to a securing base. It either comes in a single, solid piece or two separate pieces that are joined together.
- Market umbrella. This is the most popular style of centre umbrellas. It usually has a round shape.
- Beach umbrella. This style of this umbrella tends to be very minimalistic. These umbrellas usually just have a simple spiked base, which you can easily insert into the sand - hence why it’s called a beach umbrella.
- Half umbrella. This umbrella has one flat side, so it can be placed against a wall. This makes half umbrellas perfect for small porches or balconies where you cannot possibly fit a big parasol on.
With so many options, we are sure there is a parasol that suits your style and your outdoor space.
Which pole and frame material should I use for my cantilever parasol?
It is important that you choose the right material for your pole and frame, and there are some things you should consider before selecting the material. For instance, if you already have garden furniture, you probably want a material that matches your furniture. It could also be that you want a material that is extra durable and sturdy and can withstand the elements.
Each material has its own benefits, so let’s take a look at some of the different materials:
- Wood. Wood has a timeless, classic style that goes well in every garden. However, it looks especially amazing in natural, lush environments. Bamboo, teak and eucalyptus are commonly used. The downside of wood is that it fades over time as it is exposed to sun and rain.
- Metal. If you would like a sleek, modern-styled parasol, then metal is the way to go. Stainless steel is a great choice and is also more affordable than wood. Metal is also able to withstand harsh winds and rain better than wood.
- Fibreglass. These are among the most sturdy and durable poles and frames on the market. Fibreglass is also lightweight, strong and much more flexible than wood and metal, allowing it to bend without breaking - even in the worst storms.
What size should my cantilever parasol be?
Now that you have decided on both the type of parasol and the material, you can consider the size of your parasol. It is important that your parasol has the right size for your outdoor space. If it is too small, you will not have enough shade, but it also cannot be so big that it takes up your entire outdoor space. Moreover, too large parasols may overpower your space and the ambience. You also need to consider if you have a lot of branches, as these could damage your parasol.
A good tip is to measure the area you would like to cover. This is much better than just going by your eye. Also, take into consideration that the room needs to fit chairs. Once you have the measurements for the space you would like to be covered, we recommend you add two to two and a half feet to each side, so you get the right amount of shade.
Accessorise your cantilever parasol
Okay, now you have your new cantilever parasol, why not add some extra ambience with some beautiful accessories? Here are a couple of ideas:
- Lights. Lighten up the space a little bit with a couple of LED lights. This will create a cosy atmosphere.
- Heaters. If it gets a little bit chilly in the evening, a heater or two will be perfect.
- Speakers. Are you planning to have a party? Then you need speakers for your parasol.
- Protective cover. You absolutely want a weather-proof cover for your outdoor parasol. This ensures that your umbrella will last you for years to come.
Purchase your cantilever parasol online at vidaXL
At vidaXL, we have a wide range of cantilever parasols that we know will look stunning on your patio or in your garden. We have parasols in various materials, sizes, shapes and colours. If you have any questions or you need help choosing your new cantilever parasol, please contact our customer service so we can assist you. Together we will find the perfect parasol for your garden or patio.
Looking for other products? Check out the categories below:
Type: Side awnings